Our Music Curriculum Intent
At Dobwalls Primary School, it is our intent that through our lessons and enrichment opportunities we make music an enjoyable learning experience giving children a firm understanding of what music is through listening, singing, playing, evaluating, analysing and composing. We endeavour to develop a curiosity for the subject as well as a knowledge of different genres of music and an appreciation of the importance of the subject in the wider community.
- Lessons offer a range of musical genres, with a wealth of opportunities to develop skills in performing, composing, listening and evaluating music.
- Children are taught to sing and play musically with increasing confidence and control.
- The musical elements of rhythm, melody, harmony, form, dynamics, tempo and timbre are embedded in classroom activities, ensuring skills are developed and built upon from previous year groups.
- Weekly dedicated singing assemblies
- Planned enrichment activities across the school
- Annual Christmas Performances - Early Years, KS1 and KS2 performances
- Annual Christmas Carol Service at the Church for all school children
- Parent linked activities e.g. The Trelawney Shout where Parents and children join together to sing the Cornish Anthem on St Piran's Day
- Weekly Singing Certificate Awarded in Celebration assembly - chosen by Y6 Singing Super Stars!
- Songs used across the curriculum to enhance teaching and learning
Over the year, we plan a range of musical enrichment activities. Music is at the very heart of the majority of all school gatherings, performances and celebrations. In addition to our weekly singing assemblies we hold special celebrations when the whole school and individual classes perform a variety of musical pieces including Harvest festival, Christmas carols, Easter assemblies and end of year farewells.
Songfest: for the last four years we have also taken part in the annual Songfest Concert organised by the Cornwall Music Hub, alongside other primary schools in Cornwall. These concerts involve some of our children from Key Stage 2 learning 10-15 songs at school which they then perform alongside other schools at Launceston Town Hall and the Plymouth Pavilions.
First Access Programme: a specialist ukulele teacher has taught our Year 2 children
Arts Council England Project: Year 6 children have undertaken workshops with and performed alongside the Florian Quartet.
Cornwall Hub Hubbub Music Festival: held at Heartlands in Cornwall. It is at this brilliant event where children get to listen to professional composers, perform alongside professional musicians and explore different musical genres and cultures.
Specialist Teacher Visits: Year 5 enjoyed a series of four lessons led by Cornwall's specialist music teacher Phil Montgomery-Smith. The children learnt to compose a piece of music developing a range of music skills and understanding of musical concepts. This was thoroughly enjoyed by all in Y5.
Music Lessons: children are able to pay and take part in guitar and violin lessons at school. For further information please ask the office.
By the end of Key Stage 2 children at Dobwalls have an appreciation of different types of music and an understanding of their own personal musical strengths as well as areas they might like to improve upon. Their musical lessons will have enabled the children to develop their own personal skills in terms of self-confidence, interaction with others and self-reflection. They will have an understanding of key musical terminology such as volume, pitch, rhythm and beat and will be able to dissect music, understand its parts and have enjoyed listening, creating and performing pieces.