Dobwalls Primary School Curriculum Intent
Our curriculum at Dobwalls creates an environment where: children are excited to learn; given skills for life; encouraged to meet their own potential through a wide range of learning opportunities and are nurtured to develop knowledge and understanding of their local area and of the wider world around them.
SECRET Skills underpin all the learning across our school. These are 24 statements which we believe provide character traits which children require throughout their education and in to adulthood. These are as follows:
See our class curriculum maps below 5 step planning process below:
1. Class Curriculum Long Term Overviews: We work together to produce annual overviews.
2. Subject Specific Long Term Objective Map Subject: subject leaders map out progressive objectives from the national curriculum, cross referencing this with topics. These enable us to share common expectations linked to key concepts to create a spiral curriculum.
3. Class Medium Term Plans Each Half term: the class teacher plans from the objectives and ensures the children can learn the concepts, skills and knowledge as well as how to apply this in new situations. Knowledge organisers are planned and shared with the children to support embedding in concepts, key vocabulary and images needed to deepen their understanding. Each half-term children have a knowledge organiser for each foundation subject.
4. Assessment: ongoing teacher assessment throughout lessons ensures the lessons are pitched carefully to the individual class and children. Teachers assess children half-termly in foundation subjects using a progression matrix. In Reading, Writing and Maths pupils are assessed termly using a variety of methods including: teacher assessment, RWI assessments, low stakes testing. PIRA and PUMA assessments are carried out termly as well as arithmetic tests.
5. Review and connect: knowledge organisers are reviewed over the year to review what pupils have learnt. Teachers will adapt appropriately and revisit where needed. Pupils connect learning through discussions using SECRET Skills.